Water Safety

Being safe in the water is something that is foremost on my mind - all the time - this past weekend especially.  You see 15 years ago this coming August, my dad drowned in Lake Huron.  He was out in a canoe, had a life jacket with him, a storm brewed up, and the canoe tipped.  He wasn't wearing the PFD and drowned. I know - he shouldn't have been in a canoe on Lake Huron in the first place, especially when a storm was coming, I'm not sure of his reasoning - and now I will never know.

So, with Sunday being Father's Day, the thoughts of him were especially present.  He has missed me graduating from not only university, but also grad school.  He missed meeting my future husband, giving me away at our wedding, and having a father daughter dance.  He also missed seeing his grandson - not only our child, but my brother's boys.  So much he missed, that could have been different if only he was wearing a life jacket.

On Sunday Matt went fishing in Lake Huron with his dad and his brothers - and being the good wife that I am, I was on the phone texting him, harassing him actually, to ensure that he was wearing his life jacket. He swears he was (but he was the only one in the group who was... grrr). During the afternoon, Alex and I drove up to the lake and went for a boat ride too. This was my first boat ride on Lake Huron - and I was rather nervous and a little emotional. But I made sure we were all wearing our life jackets.  I was happy that we went out - it was something I needed to do.

Now this is also very timely because of a recent discussion on Penny's Blog at CottageLife.com about PFD usage and children. I was surprised at the number of people that were actually upset about the discussion of making PFDs mandatory for all boaters. Now, I must admit, I don't always wear a life jacket while in the "tinner" on my in-laws small lake, but if it is dark, or if there is any sort of wind I do. In all other situations, there is always one with me. If I'm in a canoe or kayak - yes, it's on. Also my son always has one on, even just puddling along the shore.  To me, the idea of legally having to wear one is quite logical. We wear a seat belt in the car, wear helmets on a motorcycle, why not a life jacket in a boat? 

One local group is trying to advocate for this - The Cook-Reese Memorial Fund. This is a project originated by singer Loreena McKennitt after the loss of her fiance, his brother and a friend (who was my co-worker's son) in a boating incident.  The Cook-Reese Memorial Fund raises money to support a wide variety of water safety initiatives in an attempt to make the water a safer place to work and play.  A new project of the Cook-Reese Memorial Fund is wearalifejacket.com. There is a lot of valuable information for boaters, fishermen, cottagers, children and the importance of PFDs.  I highly recommend checking this site out and seeing what they have to say.

So stay safe on the waters this summer - I don't want anyone having to feel the loss of a loved one from a boating accident that could have been easily averted by the use of a life jacket.

Comments

  1. I was not aware of the circumstances of your father's death, Krista. How tragic. I grew up spending time on small lakes in Michigan and water safety was always important; but when you're on a huge body like Lake Huron, it's just a whole different ball game. I'm glad you pushed Matt re: the life jacket. I'm sure he knows how important it is to you. And now you both have Alex to set a good example for.

    Your posts here remind me a lot of my dad and stepmom's cottage in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - also on Lake Huron. We are headed there in a couple of weeks for some R&R.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment